Discover Munich by attending the ECCV 2018. This beautiful city offers an extraordinary mixture of international cultural excellence with its museums and concert halls, as well as true Bavarian tradition and hospitality all set in the breathtaking pre-alpine landscape of lakes, mountains and fairytale castles.
The Townscape – Inviting, Historical and Visionary
King Ludwig I influenced Munichs townscape with his pompous and generous architecture with broad avenues and the contrast between classicistic restraint and baroque profusion. Bold creativity and innovation have set new architectural accents all over the city. The world-renowned tent roof, the landmark of the Olympic Park, inspires spectators even four decades after its construction. The Allianz Arena is regarded Germany’s most beautiful and thrilling soccer stadium. The recently opened BMW Welt is a milestone of dynamic architecture.
The downtown area presents with a clear, delightful and charming scenery marked by the distinctive feature of the Frauenkirche – church with it’s towers rising high above the city roofs.
Live and Let Live
Munich’s appeal and success are closely linked to the joy of life, cosiness and a cosmopolitan atmosphere. This is THE place for gourmets, night revelers and party animals.
„Eating and drinking keeps body and soul together“. In Munich this old proverb still holds good today. You will find cosy Bavarian inns, international cuisine, gourmet restaurants next to our world-famous beer gardens, where people of all age, families, singles, couples and guests from all over the world get together under shady chestnut trees and enjoy a stein of freshly tapped beer.
Shopping in Munich is a particular pleasure. Strolling along the extravagant Maximilianstrasse and Theatinerstrasse you quickly reach the pedestrian mall where department stores and shops offer their selected goods. Trendy and fancy merchandise is found, for example, in the Gärtnerplatz and Glockenbach quarters; a variety of souvenirs is available at the „Platzl“ near the Hofbräuhaus; culinary treats from all over the world are best bought downtown at Viktualienmarkt. The famous Munich nightlife entices with numerous pubs, bars and clubs.
- was founded in 1158
- it is the third largest city in Germany after Berlin and Hamburg and has a population of about 1,4 million inhabitants
- offers more than 50 museums to the interested visitor as well as over 60 theatres and cabarets
- presents the “Neues Rathaus” which is one of Germany´s most distinctive buildings and which is home to the famous Munich glockenspiel which chimes at 11am, 12am and 5pm
- is home to more than 50.000 students at 13 different universities
- enjoys an excellent international reputation as a competence centre in research, science and medicine
- is a green city. The nature within the city offers
- surfing downtown on the river Isar
- rafting from beergarden to beergarden
- getting a tan in the „English Garden“ – which is bigger than the NY Central Park
- jumping into its rivers and various lakes
And, last but not least:
- Munich is City of the Oktoberfest. The largest beer festival in the World – with more than 7 million visitors every year (starting from 22 September 2018)